eklectikfish by kateepie

Tuesday 8 June 2010

recent sewing projects


My brave old Elna sewing machine has been kept very busy over the last couple of weeks!  Here are just a few pics of some recent projects... more on the way as I have a couple of days off work booked in the next week or two... hooray!

The first is a pair of linen trousers which I had to employ some forensic techniques to make.  My favourite pair of trousers gave up the ghost by the end of last summer - lovely big holes in the inside leg - and rather than trawling the shops in the hope I would find something similar I decided to remake them using the old trousers as a pattern.  After what seemed like years of unpicking, I managed to get the waistband, fly and one of the legs dismantled, keeping one leg intact as a guide.  It wasn't easy (I've only made one pair of trousers before and that was to an easy easy Burda pattern)... and I had tricksy things like proper pockets to negotiate... but I'm fairly happy with the finished result.  I think it needs a bit of remedial work around the fly - the zipper sticks out which is annoying me - but hopefully that will be fairly simple.


My favourite part of the trousers is that the waistband and the pocket linings are in Amy Butler fabric, tres funky!




Ok, so what else have I done?  Well, I sold my spotted owl and striped iphone holders I made a while ago, so I've made another and cut out cloth for another two - I have finally run out of interfacing, so think I will probably have to go and buy 5m or something next time!

The fabric for this one is a gorgeous olive green linen which I plundered from one of my skirts which I know will never, ever fit me again, so it was good to be able to reinvent it.  The contrast fabric is Amy Butler Daisy Chain in Sweet Jasmine which I think I have fallen in love with.




The iphone holders I have sold so far have all sold on ebay rather than etsy or folksy, so think I will stick with that, and pop it on folksy to keep my shop looking nice :-)


The other thing I experimented with at the weekend was machine embroidery, something I've been meaning to try for a while, but have been a bit scared to do, to tell the truth.  Am now totally hooked, so will have to think of some things to embroider! Here is an aquilegia, or columbine:


And this is my favourite - a pecking hen, based on one of my own lovelies:




Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails